(urth) The Tomb of the Unknown Severian

Joel Sieh joel.sieh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 13:35:51 PST 2007

It could also be a tomb fashioned by the "original" Severian, the
Severian who failed the test in UotNS, went back in time, and modified
events (e.g. sending Juturna to rescue his boyhood self after falling
in the river IIRC) so that he would later succeed at the test instead
of failing.  Sev goes on a bit about this at the end of UotNS.

--Joel

On Nov 29, 2007 1:31 PM, Tony Ellis <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Mathew wrote:
> >> "I know too in whose mausoleum I tarried as a child, that little building
> >> of stone with its rose, its fountain and its flying ship all graven. I
> >> have disturbed my own tomb, and now I go to lie in it." Citadel XXXVIII
>
> >This bugs me.  Which Dead Kennedy, sorry, Severian would it have been
> built for?
>
> One we never meet, I think. At the end of UotNS Severian is free to
> revisit Urth whenever he pleases, and if he died there he'd just
> self-resurrect. So there could be Severian tombs all over the place.

Contributor for Books Under the Bridge -
http://www.booksunderthebridge.com - Recommended Sci Fi and Fantasy
Literature, Articles, and Humor