(urth) free will and piracy

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 20:44:41 PST 2007

On an unrelated note, I do think that any discussion
of the moral ambiguity inherent in Father Chris must
confront the older version breaking down in tears when
the young novitiate leaves and falls into the past -
an older version that never once tries to deter the
younger man from the path that will lead to murder,
debauchery, and other piratical pass times.

There is the Christmas homily of Chris that speaks of
gold - the talents given by God and the manner in
which we use them.  It is unclear to me whether the
younger or older versions of Chris are using those
talents, or "gold", in the manner most stereotypically
considered as good, and I think somehow the older
versions refusal to curtail the free will, or the
"pirate freedom" of his younger self is somehow
central to any discussion of the redemptive meaning or
catharsis of Chris' psuedo confession.

Certainly free will and the existence of evil must be
discussed when the text's tangential relationship to
Catholicism is considered.

Good discussions on this repetitive cycle and faux
confession of Fr. Chris so far in the list.