(urth) The Case for Mundanity

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Mon Dec 17 17:06:28 PST 2007

I tend to take a very mundane approach to the Urth-Lune, Blue-Green, St.
Croix-St. Anne question, which I may have previously posted. It's that
Wolfe is fascinated by many questions involving dualities that are
blurred by history, volition and circumstance, such as the distinction
between humans and robots, the souled and the unsouled, the past and the
future, the hunter and the victim (in fact there is a fairly long
paragraph on this one in one of the New Sun books), the wolf(e) and the
civilized man, and so on. Some of these dichotomies are expressed in
very explicit physical form, and Blue versus Green is certainly one of them.

I'm also on the mundane end of the spectrum as far as many of the minor
difficulties with chronology and sequence in the whole NS/LS/SS cycle,
which is that a series of books written over nearly twenty years, each
sub-series of which was unforeseen when the previous one was written,
are going to contain some problematic dissonances because, for all the
evidence to the contrary, Gene Wolfe is in fact human. To directly
address one of the current issues, I think that Wolfe thought the idea
of geologic strata made of the detritus of humanity was an incredibly
cool idea (the cliff, the fact that "miner" means something closer to
"archeologist" on Urth, the mountain range totally sculpted into human
images -- who wouldn't pay to see that movie?). He's not Hal Clement, so
he didn't sit down and calculate out all the geology and history, he
just wrote the story, and years later he wrote more stories that twisted
the chronology still more, and so on. Even though I don't believe that
100,000-years-in-the-future makes geological sense, it makes reasonable
literary sense (and sometimes even Jove nods). And by the way, Typhon
annoyed the hierodules by trying to rule the galaxy and they put the
black hole in the sun; it's said in almost so many words in 'Sword of
the Lictor.' So there! (/grin)

Anyway, I realize speculation and literary treasure-hunting is immensely
fun, but sometimes it involves ignoring the forest (the excellent
stories, puzzles and jokes that really are there, such as Severian's
parentage or the appearance of a "Green Room" that really is green) for
the trees (farfetched late-Heinlein or late-Asimov connectivity among
series -- another hobby horse I've posted about; not everything needs to
relate to everything else, and not everyone needs to be everyone else --
it's a big universe and Wolfe knows that).

This doesn't mean I want or expect people to stop speculating, but
perhaps to turn the speculation knob down a smidge from 11.

-- Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha