(urth) Prior Race On Blue And Green

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 17 10:55:21 PST 2007

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:25:44 -0600> From: matthewalangroves at gmail.com> To: urth at lists.urth.net> Subject: Re: (urth) Prior Race On Blue And Green> > On Dec 17, 2007 10:29 AM, Pedro Pereira <domus_artemis at hotmail.com> wrote:> > For example, the interviewer only asks about the Earth and Moon.> > What about Venus as Green? So that interview does not prove it is not the> > solar system.> > Talk about "working by short circuits." Do you suppose it was the> Templars who terraformed Venus? And moved it to form a double planet> with Earth? And got rid of Lune?
> > There's one interview where someone asks if the Green/Blue system is our> > own system and Wolfe replies that he "does not answer that kind of> > questions".> > Why doesn't Wolfe answer these sorts of questions? I suspect one> reason is that even his most straightforward response will be taken as> evidence of some still less plausible hypothesis. But I believe the> main reason is that these are not *pertinent* questions. By this I> mean that you can posit that Urth/Lune = Ste. Anne/Ste. Croix => Blue/Green = Urth/Venus without changing what these novels mean. This> answer doesn't do any interpretive work. So Urth/Venus can be> Blue/Green if you want, but then much like the Whorl, you haven't> really gone anywhere yet.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm not in either the Solar System "faction" or the "entirely-new-system" one. All I'm saying is that I don't think Wolfe has provided a definite response or that anyone has. This is a discussion forum, so I assume the business at end is interesting and pertinent?

Maybe it's not that important for an understanding of the novel as you say, but neither are the discussions regarding the geography of Urth at Severian's time or if the geologic evidence fits the descriptions. Maybe we should stop discussing those too?

Pedro