(urth) Cumaean???

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:15:45 PST 2007

> > 2) Is the Cumaean the heavenly same being that Sev sleeps with in the> fifth volume, while on Yesod? (By the way, has it come up in the> discussions that Yesod means "foundation" in Hebrew?) I seem to> remember from my last reading of Urth of the NS that Severian implies> that he fathers himself in that encounter.

I don't remember that, but wasn't Severians mother a "client" of the Torturers that happened to be pregnant? I doub't he is he's own father. He finds his father in the tree restaurant before his fight with Agilus if I'm not mistaken.

> 4) The description of the Cumaean during Severian's vision - a reptilian> thing with eyes - makes me think of Tzadkiel. Is this on the right> track?

 I think the Cumaen is a Hierodule, like Father Inire.

> I guess I essentially get this episode: Hildegrin (and Vodualus through> him) are trying to stop the return of the New Sun; Hildegrin struggles> here with Apu Punchau = the man Severian sees etched into the wall of> the grave house he played in as a boy = himself.
I'm sure that that tomb is Severian's tomb, but I don't think its from his Apu Punchau "version". Apu Punchau's tomb is in the North, in the ancient, deserted city. So I don't know from "what Severian" that tomb is. Or at least I don't recall.