(urth) PF review

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:56:29 PST 2007

Paul, that's a great review.  Thanks for sharing.

And yet one of the commenters at your website offers one of best
perspectives for reading Wolfe that I have yet seen:

"I suppose Wolfe makes of the reader a priest, and puts him on the
receiving end in the confessional, and shows him at its most squirmy
how tough it is to love (and forgive!) thy neighbor, harder far than
loving God and yet its essential corollary. And thus we can safely
assume that Wolfe shares our repugnance while simultaneously putting
it aside in favor of compassion for his character, so essential to a
believable – let alone a soulful – portrayal of him?"

Wow.  I don't think there's a book Wolfe has written that is not
illuminated by that idea.

Rostrum