(urth) Some Pirate Freedom thoughts and questions

"Fernando Q. Gouvêa" fqgouvea at colby.edu
Sun Dec 2 09:24:47 PST 2007

paul witcover wrote:
>     My fantasy of what happens after Chris2 has Novia all to himself is
>     that, when he spills his story to her, she grabs the nearest knife
>     and eviscerates him.

It does sound quite likely!

>     The similarity of "wiseguy" and "Lesage" led me to wonder if that
>     pirate is really another iteration of Chris, and whether Chris's
>     father is Lesage -- and there might be more than one temporal loop
>     involved -- but when I saw Wolfe at the World Fantasy Convention, I
>     asked him explicitly about this, and his response was "No, I hadn't
>     thought of that.  You're smarter than I am."  I protested the
>     contrary!

:-) I think the temptation to be smarter than Wolfe and to see hidden
connections everywhere is with us always...

Fernando

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, FOCUS
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://mathdl.maa.org
http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

Your lucky number is 3552664958674928. Watch for it everywhere.