(urth) Wolfe at the Beach: Two Reviews

Rex Lycanthrosaurus lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 28 20:07:00 PDT 2007

Interestingly, Gibson borrows one of the Wolfe's classic techniques in
"Spook Country" -- i.e., refusing to identify a major character by name,
in this case "the old man" -- although if you've read "Pattern
Recognition," you can probably guess who he most likely is.

Similarly, Father Christopher's last name is never stated in Pirate
Freedom, although Wolfe does provide several clues about its ultimate
identity. Perhaps it's even the same as a certain list alumnus -- one
with a hard to pronounce Italian name?

--
  Rex Lycanthrosaurus
  lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm