(urth) unsubscribe

Matthew DeLuca straylightrise at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:40:08 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com>
Sent: 4/13/2007 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: (urth) Vonnegut (1922-2007)

On 4/13/07, don doggett <kingwukong at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Stuff happened" is almost everything. "Someone made
> stuff happen" is usually laid over it by people trying
> to make sense of that "stuff". Christians hardly have
> a lock on interesting fiction, nor are athiests
> excluded from it.

The last point is certainly true; the first has some truth to it -- but,
really, in terms of narrative (and we are creatures of our narrativity),
intentional actions are far more interesting than agentless actions.

One of the most impressive narrative tours-de-forces I have ever
read was _Fire_, by George R. Stewart (author of the SF classic
_Earth Abides_), which took a firestorm as its more-or-less
protagonist, and managed to give it agency without personializing
it. He did the same thing, less successfully, for a storm in a book
called (of all things) _Storm_.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----