(urth) In Glory Like Their Star

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Thu Apr 19 13:05:42 PDT 2007

> --- Nathan Spears <spearofsolomon at yahoo.com> wrote:

> iirc I think Wolfe may have said something along these
> lines somewhere, that it's a mistake to think ancient
> people were less sophisticated than their modern
> counterparts.

It is one of his major themes, as it is one of my major positions. I'd say
that a good fifty percent of the things we talked about, last we met, were
related to this one way or another.

As an aside, there are no primitive people. All the people extant, and all
of the people we know about historically have basically the same level of
development, in various different directions.

Who was that fool who came to the conclusion that the Trobriand Islanders
didn't know where babies came from? Malonovski orsomething like it. And
then there was Richard Burton, measuring penises across the continent of
Africa. I bet the Africans had a lot to say about him. And Margaret Mead,
who can forget her? I understand the grandchildren of her informants still
tell stories as to what an idiot she was, how gullible.

.