(urth) (Urth) In Glory Like Their Star

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Wed Apr 18 16:50:28 PDT 2007

At 05:10 PM 4/18/2007, you wrote:

>However:
>"It is the interior change that suffices, the transformation that rewards"
>This statement is Christian doctrine reworded, so I doubt that Wolfe
>intended it to bathe the narrator in a negative light.  Unless the
>story is also a commentary on how missionaries to impoverished
>nations should spend more time distributing medicine and less time
>evangelizing.

         I have not reread the story before writing this post, so
this may be off the mark; but a comment: This is not Christian but
Gnostic doctrine. Wolfe is a good sacramentalist, and for him the
Kingdom is surely more than mere interior change. Good intentions do
not suffice. Jesus came to change the world, not merely inward
feelings. And I can say that Wolfe does believe that unless
impoverished people are fed, they cannot hear. The gospels really
show the same thing: Jesus helps people and then asks them to listen.
         Now I need to find this story and re-read it.

Nutria