(urth) Bringin' it back to Wolfe by the long road

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 00:47:12 PDT 2007

don doggett writes:
I'm thinking especially
> of Wizard Knight, which involves both Arthur and the
> most overt references to Christianity I have
> encountered from Wolfe. I found it a weakness myself;
> having Odin (the Vallfather) bow down to Michael was a
> little close to proselytising for me,

Not realy.   Michael here is not precisely a Christian figure in a christian
universe: rather he's a being of a certain rank, in a non-Christian
universe, who is explained/derived in terms of Christan myth much as the
Overcyns are explained/derived in terms of Nordic myth.   He is of higher
rank than Odin but other beings of non-Christian derivation like Parka are
of higher rank than him,. There is no Christ in Mythgarthyr - the Outsider
was far more explicitly Christian in his function and relationship to
humanity.

 - hartshorn

http://www.thenightland.co.uk

01273-488272 / 0777-214-9545