(urth) ot-my mini review of Children of Hurin

Jesper Svedberg jsvedberg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:57:08 PDT 2007

Nathan Spears skrev:

> I think the distinction is a matter of foundation - the bedrock for Tolkien's creation was the ancient Finnish myth, Arthur, etc.  The bedrock for much of what is being referred to as "the modern fantasy genre," especially "high fantasy," is Tolkien.  Even those writers who don't claim him as a primary influence would not have had the same atmosphere in which to peddle their trade without Tolkien having changed the publishing landscape.  The use of the phrase "modern epic fantasy of quality" is also dubious.

So what? The fantasy tradition existed before Tolkien. It is undeniable
that he has made a bigger impression on it than any other writer, but
the types of stories he wrote are very similar in structure to what
William Morris wrote before him and very similar to what Le Guin or Guy
Gavriel Kay wrote after him.

> Legions of Tolkien fans cry foul!  Tolkien spent decades working on the source material which LotR sprang from, and he was much more intimately acquainted with the aforementioned myths and epics than many of his followers.  On the whole I think that this resulting in a work which approaches the quality and power of his sources better than most (all) subsequent work in the "modern fantasy genre."  So the difference is not necessarily in the individual elements of quests, elves, wizards, strange creatures, but in the overall quality of the work which requires acknowledgment as a thing apart.

Never. He may be better, but that makes his stories GOOD fantasy, not a
completely different genre. I can't believe that I have to defend the
quality of modern fantasy on a Gene Wolfe mailing list of all places,
since Wolfe more than anyone has proved that Tolkien is far from the
end-all of fantasy literature. This is snobbism at its worst.

   // Jesper