(urth) ot-my mini review of Children of Hurin

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 12:35:47 PDT 2007

--- Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would make a guess (and I'm fairly confident of
> it, though I too hope
> Don will step forth and say in his own words what he
> meant) that the
> estimable Mr Doggett was suggesting that, though it
> contains elements
> of the fantastic, Tolkien's work was not created in
> the context of the
> commercial genre of "fantasy," as we know it today,

Thanks Dan'l! This is more or less exactly what I
meant, especially regarding the Children of Hurin, and
the tales in the Silmarillion. They are written in the
tradition of myth and epic romance - Tolkien was
playing a different game, so to speak.

> and in fact could
> not be because that commercial genre came to be in
> response to JRRT's
> work.

Partly, yes, but I'm also aware of other contributing
factors to the fantasy genre. I guess you could say I
got caught up in making the review flow and
generalized things a bit.  But thank you all for your
interest in my opinion, it's quite flattering.
(blushes)

Don