(urth) ot-my mini review of Children of Hurin

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 05:13:51 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/16/2007 6:58:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Batrinque at aol.com writes:

I much  enjoyed Heaney's translation of Beowulf, although I do wish there had
been  something a little more of the robust flavor of the mead hall in it,
but I  would be hard-pressed to name a translation I would recommend over it to
anyone who had not previously read the poem (and definitely to read it as a
poem, not prose)

Saying this left open the question of what I would recommend as a second
translation of Beowulf, to follow after Heaney's to perhaps impart something
more of that robust or raw mead hall flavor.  There are so many possible
choices.  Maybe the Sullivan and Murphy translation, or that by Lehmann, or  that by
Rebsamen ...  And it is fun to simply listen to a reading of the  poem in the
original language, just to hear the alliteration and insistent  rhythm.

Speaking of translations, I would think that Wolfe's works -- especially  the
Book of the New Sun -- would be a formidable challenge to translate well.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT