(urth) Chinese Curses And Happiness

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Fri Apr 13 11:59:07 PDT 2007

Don writes:
> --- brunians at brunians.org wrote:

>> The full curse is 'May you live in interesting times
>> and come to the attention of influential people.'

> Ah. Thank you, Josh. That's a nasty curse in any
> culture.

>> The Stoic philosophy (and also Buddhism,
>> coincidentally or not) both teach how to
>> be happy no matter how interesting your times
>> or personal situation.

> I was under the impression that happiness was
> inconsequential to both philosophies. Rather they
> teach one to endure such times and situations with
> equanimity.

Stoicism definitely claims to teach happiness, and also freedom.

Buddhism, well, the Dalai Lama has gone on record as saying that the goal
of Buddhism is to be happy. I suppose I shall take his word for it.

> But I digress as well.

At the risk of an overwhelming chorus of 'Amens', I pray: May the hour of
my silence return!

But not too soon, please God.

.