(urth) Vonnegut (1922-2007)

Four Color fourcolorhero at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 19:47:38 PDT 2007

I had the good fortune to have lunch with Kurt Vonnegut in 1992. He
was a funny, wise guy. I'll always remember the presentation he made
earlier that day, including a brief deconstruction of the conventional
plot triangle, using Kafka's "Metamorphosis":

[Vonnegut on stage, at chalkboard, mic in one hand, chalk in other.
Audience expecting to see the plot triangle drawn on the board.]

"One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he
discovered that in bed he had been changed into a monstrous bug."

[Vonnegut draws a line going straight down.]

"Oh sh**."

Much my feeling when I awoke this morning and discovered that he had died.

Regards,
Tim