(urth) Don't Sell 'Em Short

Chris rasputin_ at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:10:31 PDT 2007

The issue isn't their intelligence. It is simply a difficulty in adapting to
the media.

For one thing, consider how often the written form of a typical Gene Wolfe
story has an important part to play in its interpretation. Are we for
example to take Severian's account as a strict and literal depiction of what
happened? If not, how do we express that uncertainty on film? Perhaps there
will be a way, but it won't be exactly the same as what's employed in the
book, and may tend to convey a different sense than the original. Also, we
have a psychological tendency to view what happens in a movie as a literal
depiction even if devices are employed to remind us that's not the case;
this gets in the way of a Wolfe story.

On a more commonplace level, there is the general problem of trying to
compress a long story line into the space of 2 hours. I don't care how much
of a genius a filmmaker is, that's always going to be a source of
dissatisfaction when you adapt a book to film.