(urth) The Soundtrack

Recursive Loop recursive_loop at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 17:27:56 PDT 2007

Greetings:

"Are we getting too off-list if I ask you what you listen to when you read POB?"

My jumping off point was a combination of the soundtrack to the fillum (Master & Commander: The
Far Side of the World), plus a couple of albums with titles like "Music in the Captain's Cabin".
Toss in a couple of vocal albums of traditional sea songs ("Spanish Ladies"). From there, add
Vivaldi, Mozart, Boccherini, anybody else from the period. Keep the pieces centered around duets,
trios, quartets, quintets and the like. Shake well and stir.

"Getting back on-list: is there any overlap between what you listen to reading POB and GW?"

Not really. To get into the mood for something like Latro I might listen to music that is inspired
by the Ancient World. For example, "The Pines of Rome" or "The Fountains of Rome" or maybe
"Ancient Airs and Dances". But as other posters have pointed out, Wolfe requires a differently
engaged reader than O'Brian. So I more tend not to listen to music with an author like Wolfe.

Fred Kiesche