(urth) Memorare

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Thu Apr 5 08:49:42 PDT 2007

At 11:37 PM 4/4/2007, Roy wrote:

>James B. Jordan wrote:
> >I was struck by the fact that Wolfe makes himself the godplaying dead
> >man. It would be easy to have the statue be that of "Richard Nixon"
> >or "Hitler" or someone else, but Wolfe takes upon himself the role of
> >god-playing tyrant. He seems to be saying that he's as potentially
> >evil as anyone else. Salvation is only by grace, as the prayers and
> >title indicate.
>
>Seeing the statue of the "Founder" in a fake paradise as representing Wolfe
>has an obvious appeal, but  . . . what about the larger part of the story,
>the relationships among the four main characters? The memorials aren't built
>by those they honor; they are built by the dead person's
>relatives/followers. If Wolfe is the honored dead, who built the memorial --
>and why?

         Is it always the case that memorials are built by others?
I'll have to reread this soon -- wanted to let it sit for a couple of
weeks first. But if so, then Wolfe is saying something about how a
man's work is often perverted by his disciples.

>The fake paradise is shown to be foul and diseased by the neutral eye of the
>camera. Only the glamour cast over the people who go there, the rose-colored
>view, permits them to see that world as much better than it really is. If
>Wolfe sees himself as the giant bronze lord of such a sorry realm, what is
>he saying about his legacy? More to the point; what is he saying about you
>and me and the rest of the faithful readers of his fantasies?

         Given some of the weird misreadings that Wolfe has received,
maybe he IS saying something about "us." :-( Or about some of us anyway.

>March thought that the statue of the Founder looked like his father. Penny
>(Robin) thought it looked like her grandfather. If Wolfe was the Founder,
>who are March and Sue/Robin/Penny?

         Assuming Wolfe as Founder (which I've assumed, though of
course that's debatable I guess), then they are either characters or
else descendants analogous to the Numbered folk in *5th Head.*  Or
possibly readers.
         BTW:
                 Sue, from Susan - Susannah = Hebrew lily vegetable
                 Robin = bird animal
                 Penny = mineral
Something's going on there. I can see Penny as the name she has in a
realm ruled over by a metal man. Susannah was falsely accused of
adultery and defended by Daniel -- I gather Sue was really guilty,
she wanted reconciliation.
         FWIW.

Nutria

>-Roy