(urth) Memorare

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Wed Apr 4 06:51:47 PDT 2007

I've been away so much that I may have missed it, but have we
discussed "Memorare" here yet?

Spoiler space

I was struck by the fact that Wolfe makes himself the godplaying dead
man. It would be easy to have the statue be that of "Richard Nixon"
or "Hitler" or someone else, but Wolfe takes upon himself the role of
god-playing tyrant. He seems to be saying that he's as potentially
evil as anyone else. Salvation is only by grace, as the prayers and
title indicate.
         Which raised to me another question/dimension of the story:
the persons sent back to earth by the Wolfegod. Are these the readers
of the story? Is Wolfe suggesting that his own readers move back into
the world to do good (he hopes), but that any anti-Wolfe would also
be sending readers back into the world for evil purposes?
         Anyway, I thought this was excellent vintage-Wolfe novella,
multidimensional and fully textured. Anybody want to talk about it?

Nutria

James B. Jordan
Director, Biblical Horizons
Box 1096