(urth) Severian's sex Life

Allan Anderson rubel at goosemoon.org
Wed Apr 25 17:17:05 PDT 2007

These are reasonable suggestions. It's certainly a surprising revelation
to the reader. But the account is supposed to be coming from a Severian
who has experienced all these things and now reflects back on them, so
it's not as though the narrator actually goes through these changes.
Although perhaps in a sense he is, given the vivid way Severian
experiences memory?

The moment of introduction does force us as readers to suddenly
reconsider what we've been told. Perhaps it's a narrative device urging
us toward that sort of critical reading.