(urth) Severian raising the the uhlan, Zama

Maclean Jessica Jessica.Maclean at nzpost.co.nz
Sun Apr 22 14:36:59 PDT 2007

Hello all

As a new member, I apologise if this subject is old hat- I did trawl
through the archives but couldn't find a reference. I was thinking about
Severian resurrecting the uhlan, Zama, and Miles. It seems to me that
when Severian raises the dead he is recreating the person in his mind
somehow- therefore when he resurrects Zama and the uhlan, because he
doesn't know anything about them, they do not appear to know much about
themselves.

When Sev raises Miles, he had Jonas in his mind at the time... which I
think allowed Jonas to hitch a ride, as it were.

Also, regarding Dr Talos's play "Eschatology and Genesis" - the title is
a direct reference to the Bible, which starts with Genesis and ends in
Revelations (which is a form of eschatology). To me it suggests that the
Bible itself could be started with Revelations (the eschatology) first,
then on to Genesis and the start of the next cycle, which is an
interesting take. Of course Wolfe is too clever to merely incorporate
one "world's beginning" tradition hence the incorporation of the
Sumerian and Persian elements. I wonder if this is Wolfe's way of saying
that all those legends, myths etc are different versions of the same
event...

Thoughts, comments? :-)

Jessica Maclean
Customer Liaison
New Zealand Post
Tel: 0800 100 318 Fax: 0800 100 319
e-mail: jessica.maclean at nzpost.co.nz
customerliaison@ <www.nzpost.co.nz > nzpost.co.nz
Winners of GOLD at the coveted CRM Contact Centre Awards 2006

Smile, life is good!
This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
If it is not intended for you please reply immediately, destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.