(urth) (Urth) In Glory Like Their Star

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 15:10:18 PDT 2007

Thank you both for your replies.  My reading was more sympathetic to Mr. Lackey's, but I wish I hadn't taken the book back to the library so I could read the story again to look for Mr. Ellis' perspective.  From what I can remember of the tone of the story I think that Mr. Ellis is putting something of his own ideas into it - I remember feeling that the narrator was basically blackmailed into making promises he couldn't keep to the native.  He was dying in the desert and this local thought he was a djinn or something.

Having thought about it since then, I find your comments revealing in another direction I hadn't considered.  The story also acts as an illustration of not only how badly, but how strangely, relations between vastly technologically different cultures might be.  The alien finds himself in the strange position of having to emulate a god in order to survive, ie The Man Who Would Be King.  He tries to make good on his word but is unable to, and his shame leads him to abandon the native in question.

I still am not clear on why he has to incinerate the native as he leaves.  That bit weighs favorably for Mr. Ellis' reading as far as I can see.

However:
"It is the interior change that suffices, the transformation that rewards"
This statement is Christian doctrine reworded, so I doubt that Wolfe intended it to bathe the narrator in a negative light.  Unless the story is also a commentary on how missionaries to impoverished nations should spend more time distributing medicine and less time evangelizing.