(urth) ot-my mini review of Children of Hurin

Batrinque at aol.com Batrinque at aol.com
Mon Apr 16 03:57:31 PDT 2007

In a message dated 4/16/2007 3:25:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kingwukong at yahoo.com writes:

Recently, I acquired two beautiful
leather bound volumes of the  Iliad and the Odyssey,
both translated by Robert Fitzgerald (who I  prefer).
I've read them both, the Iliad more than twice. I
bought Seamus  Heaney's translation of Beowulf when it
first came out in hardcover,  several years ago, and I
read Stephen Mitchell's translation of Gilgamesh  even
before it was released.
Personally, I prefer the Lombardo translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey
to those by Fitzgerald and Fagles and Mandelbaum (and about a dozen other
versions I have), but these things are always subjective.  I much enjoyed
Heaney's translation of Beowulf, although I do wish there had been something a
little more of the robust flavor of the mead hall in it, but I would be
hard-pressed to name a translation I would recommend over it to anyone who had  not
previously read the poem (and definitely to read it as a poem, not  prose).  And
I have the highest regard for Mitchell's Gilgamesh.

The  Children of Hurin is
superb and tragic.

I am happy to see your highly favorable mini-review; I have the book on
pre-order and anxiously await its delivery.

Bruce  Trinque
Amston, CT