(urth) Vonnegut (1922-2007)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:06:53 PDT 2007

On 4/13/07, Recursive Loop <recursive_loop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Earth Abides was excellent. I'll have to look up Fire. Have you read his non-fiction book on
> Pickett's Charge? Excellent as well.

Are you sure this is the same George Stewart? He wasn't a historian, but
an English prof. at CalBerkeley.

(Goes and looks up Stewart in Wikipedia.)

Wow, it *was* the same guy. He wrote a *lot* of stuff I didnt' know
about.

And (I didn't know this either):

     His 1941 novel Storm, featuring as its protagonist a Pacific
     storm called "Maria," prompted the National Weather Service to
     use personal names to designate storms and inspired Alan Jay
     Lerner and Frederick Loewe to write the song "They Call the
     Wind Maria" for their 1951 musical Paint Your Wagon. Storm
     was dramatized as A Storm Called Maria on a 1959 episode
     of ABC's Disneyland.

Kewl...
--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----