(urth) Don't Sell 'Em Short

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 11:29:45 PDT 2007

--- Recursive Loop <recursive_loop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> "In pondering the difficulties of filming a Wolfe
> novel,
> and there are many, I think it is a mistake for us
> to sell
> screenwriters and film directors short."
>
> Welllllll...let's see...

> The film version of "Starship Troopers" (where the
> director proudly stated he had not read the
> book and was not going to read the book)

Ahh, Starship Troopers. I hated that book so much that
it colored my view of the rest of Heinlein's work.
(Friday is the only novel I truly enjoyed. Heinlein's
portrayal of California in that is still spot on.) The
movie, on the other hand, is a hilarious f*@% you to
the action movie obsessed public, as well as a great
satire of Gulf War One. The truly scary thing about it
is that it applies to Gulf War Two just as well. It's
the most expensive american fascist propaganda movie
ever made, and for my money the best science fiction
movie of the last 25 years, Blade Runner (which is
also a far less than faithful adaptation) included.
All my moderately humble opinion, of course.

Don