(urth) Wolfe movies from short stories

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 08:57:34 PDT 2007

The bulk of Wolfe's writing is either short-stories/novellas or
multi-volume stories.  Even Wizard Knight  is way too long to do any
justice with a movie.  So if you really want a Wolfe movie, you should
be looking to his shorter stuff.

A lot (most?) of his short stuff is probably way too grim to be
greenlighted as a movie, at least in the USA, but if you leave that
aspect aside, here's a few stories I think you could get a good movie
out of:

When I Was Ming the Merciless
War Beneath The Tree
The Last Thrilling Wonder Story (would be panned as a rip-off of
Stranger than Fiction)
The HORARS of War (Blade Runner rip-off)
And When They Appear (complete re-write of the ending would be
mandatory, we'd just have to hope the screenwriter could come up with
something good).

Oh, and what's the name of the story about the three Disney robots at
the end of the world?

Any other ideas?

Rostrum