(urth) Severian's sex Life

Spencer Hensley spencer.hensley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 23:04:26 PDT 2007

Okay, so I have a strange sort of question:

Why does Severian sleep with nearly every woman he encounters? I considered
that it might provide evidence for the subjectivity of the narrative, but it
seems to me that there 1) might be other ways to do that and 2) that there
must be some further significance.

Does anyone have any ideas? I mean, it may not necessarily reflect the plot
or universe Wolfe has created, but just have a sort of generic literary
significance. It's something I've been wondering about for a long time, now.

Thanks!
--Spencer Hensley