(urth) The significance of Dr. Talos and Baldanders in Book of the New Sun

Joshua Mattson joshua_mattson at mcad.edu
Sun Apr 1 19:49:03 PDT 2007

I recently finished Book of the New Sun for the first time, and, today,
Robert Borski's Solar Labyrinth. Absent from it was specific information
on Baldanders and Dr. Talos. These two, to me, are two of the most
compelling characters in BotNS.

I've heard that Baldanders in some sense is a Satanic/Luciferic figure and
is aligned with the alien monsters of Urth. But how does Dr. Talos fit
into the story? Why exactly is Baldanders an alternate candidate to bring
the New Sun? I thought that only Autrarchs could be candidates.

Thank you.