(urth) Wolfe being clear on 5HoC

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 6 05:50:21 PDT 2006

Sorry, this is a terrible post-  off topic and redundant on a tired subject.
  But in a perusal of Wolfe interviews I just found this excerpt from one
with Larry McCaffrey in which Gene Wolfe is almost unbelieveably clear and
open about a point of previous contention in here.  I couldn't resist
posting it now rather than risk me forgetting about it:

>LM: All this "showing" in "V.R.T." is made intriguingly ambiguous by the
>confusion about >who "Marsch" really is.

>Wolfe: In the end, of course, it's important that the reader not be
>confused about this, although >part of the fun is supposed to be figuring
>out what's happened. I leave a number of clues as to >who the narrator
>actually is. For example, both V.R.T. and the narrator are shown to be very
>poor >shots, whereas Marsch is a very good shot, and there's other hints
>like that. If you hire a shape >changer as a guide, there's a definite
>possibility that he's going to change into your shape at some >point. Which
>is what happens.

To me this says Wolfe generally means for his puzzles to be solvable.

-bsharp