(urth) Wolfe being clear on 5HoC

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 14:55:33 PDT 2006

I think this sort of interpretation is diversionary at best.  If what an author achieves is greater (or more significant) than what he intended, then his skill as an author has failed him in some way.  It may be interesting to look at what has "slipped out" but it would certainly not merit devoted re-reading and analysis, in my opinion.  If the author's insight into his own work is less valuable than mine, then perhaps I should find someone else to read.

I do agree with your sentiment that the work ought to speak for itself; Wolfe also says as much in several places.  His puzzles are clearer to him than to us, though, so I don't mind when he drops a hint.

I did enjoy your comments about the "sacred"; they brought to mind Severian's exposition on the nature of sanctity.  If Wolfe is sacred because God created him (in His image), and Wolfe's urge to create gave us tBOtNS, doesn't that give it a secondhand sanctity?