(urth) Dr. Talos

Bruce Hayles brucehayles at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 09:49:36 PDT 2006

Baldanders created Dr. Talos to be everything he is not. 'Baldanders wisely
made me all that he is not, so that I might counterweight his deficiencies.
I am not fond of money, for example. That's an excellent thing for the
patient, in a personal physician. And I am loyal to my friends, because he
is first of them.' (pg 181 in Sword & Citadel) Baldanders is a scientist and
a creator; perhaps Dr. Talos is an artist and a destroyer. Dr. Talos puts on
plays but always interrupts their performance; he creates Jolenta, but in
the end destroys her. When he kills flowers, I see that as idle destruction.
I think it unlikely that Dr. Talos is now the "master" of Baldaders.
Baldanders needs the beatings to wake him up--otherwise he would sleep too
long. Baldanders created the physician to maintain his growth and keep
himself in check: he expected that his doctor would have to order him
around.