(urth) Close reading: Torturer chapter I

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Sep 6 00:14:21 PDT 2006

Dan'l quoted and wrote:
>> Sev was outside trying to unclog a frozen drain pipe the day he found
>> Triskele. The dog ran away a week later, and Sev met Valeria. There was
snow
>> on the ground that day. It was winter when Sev had the dog. There is no
way
>> that Sev went swimming that week, and there is no indication in IGJ that
it
>> was winter when Silkhorn saw the dog.
>
>... so ... IGJ can't be reconciled with SotT at all?

Well, I can't go that far. Silkhorn's astral trips to Severian's era don't
always dovetail, as Andrew Bollen has been insisting for some time. Jahlee
was certainly cavorting naked in Nessus on the occasion in question, so it
wasn't winter. All I was trying to do is show that the two instances of the
guard being absent from the necropolis gate were not the same occasion.

-Roy