(urth) Close Reading: Torturer Chapter I

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 11:57:04 PDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Rex Lycanthrosaurus <lycanthrosaurus at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Severian is not elevated to journeyman for *at least another year,* and
> given all the duties he must master as captain as apprentices, it may
> actually be two or three.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Severian is Captain of Apprentices
for only one year; if I'm right, we'll come to the appropriate reference
as we go through the book. And he has very little to "master" as
captain -- he finds his work that year very light.

Still, that makes it at least a year and a half from the graveyard
sequence to the encounter with Vodalus in the wood.

The main action, Severian's wanderings, takes only a few months.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----