(urth) Top Posting Makes The Theoanthropos Cry

Transentient transentient at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 12:20:49 PDT 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 10:57 AM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

> On 8/31/06, JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net> wrote:
>> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>>> Whereas I get twitchy when I hear or read the word "author" used as
>>> a verb...
>>>
>> Why?  It's in the OED.
>
> So are "D'oh!" and "Bling-bling." I'm a bit of a lexicological
> conservative, and don't like the use of a noun as a verb, at
> least where there's a perfectly good and commonly known
> verb ("write") that can do the job quite well.

Move to France. :) France has a language academy that officially
decides what is and is not French. If a foreign word becomes overly
popular, they come up with a Frencher word to replace it.

English is as it is used, unfortunately, by any people who use it, no
matter their level of education or sophistication.