(urth) Close Reading: Torturer Chapter II: Severian

Bruce Hayles brucehayles at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 09:46:58 PDT 2006

Severian adopts the fountain, ship volant, and rose as his devices. A couple
of pages ago we were told that
"We believe that we invent symbols. The truth is that they invent us; we are
their creatures, shaped by their hard, defining edges."
The fountain is the New Sun, the ship the Tzadkiel's ship, and the rose new
life on Urth (I think someone has suggested that is love also, or instead).
Severian obsesses about two things
"The first was that at some not-distant time, time itself would stop ... The
second was that there existed somewhere in a miraculous light... that
engendered life in whatever objects it fell upon..."
Why is Severian thinking these things? Obviously this foreshadows what will
happen later, but are we also being told something about the power of
symbols again--that Severian was shaped by the tomb that bore his face? If
so, we were clearly misdirected earlier. The focus is put on Severian's
tying himself to Vodalus when Severian talks about the coin Vodalus gave
him. We are told that symbols shape things, but can Vodalus really be
compared in magnitude to the ship volant, the fountain, and the rose? Yet
Severian directs our attention to Vodalus, not the ship volant, fountain,
and rose. Does Severian see the connection between the symbols graven on his
tomb and what he would later do? It certainly seems Wolfe is at least trying
to tell us they are important, because he gives us the symbol speech. If all
Wolfe wanted us to do was think Vodalus in responsible part for the person
Severian became, is the symbol speech actually necessary? We all know enough
Pop Psychology that we could draw that rather shallow indirect connection.
It seems instead that Wolfe is giving us a rule, and that we can use that
rule to derive the influence of the ship volant, the fountain, and the rose,
despite the fact that Severian does not emphasize them whatsoever. If this
is so, Wolfe is an amazing teacher: he shows Severian instructing us on the
power of symbols yet simultaneously being blind to them (making their power
all the more evident).