(urth) Top Posting Makes The Theoanthropos Cry

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 07:57:04 PDT 2006

On 8/31/06, JWillard <aldenweer at charter.net> wrote:
> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> >Whereas I get twitchy when I hear or read the word "author" used as
> >a verb...
> >
> Why?  It's in the OED.

So are "D'oh!" and "Bling-bling." I'm a bit of a lexicological
conservative, and don't like the use of a noun as a verb, at
least where there's a perfectly good and commonly known
verb ("write") that can do the job quite well.

> Have we stumbled upon a concern lexicological,
> Barthesian, or other?  Your ellipsis is practically tapping its toes out
> of impatience to explain itself...

Eh? It was intended as a mark of self-deprecation, that's
all. The voice trailing off, somewhat embarrassed.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----