(urth) Catherine/Katharine

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sun Oct 29 01:12:36 PST 2006

Wikipedia reckons that "Katharine" comes from a Latin mangling of
the original Greek, which is closer to "Catherine". Of course this
is consistent with Ouen's belief that the latter is an "old-
fashioned" kind of name. I guess there's some support there for an
annoying time-travel solution to the puzzle.

For a *really* annoying time-travel solution, Catherine should turn
out to be the daughter of the "original" Sev, born back in time
somewhere after he was returned from his trial, and transported
forward to give birth to her father. Blah.

Wikipedia also gives a hesitant derivation of the Greek form of
Catherine from "Hekate", as well as another from a word meaning
"torture". I guess the first could make you wonder whether
Catherine was an escapee from the witches. Seeing the witches as an
"order of monials" is a stretch, but maybe not too much of a
stretch.