(urth) The Katharine maid

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Fri Oct 27 19:53:30 PDT 2006

Gentlemen:

The dictionary citations both of you have given support my reading. This is
the sentence:

"Perhaps I was too distant from myself, from the Severian of bone and flesh
borne by Catherine in a cell of the oubliette under the Matachin Tower."

The part before the comma can be ignored here, leaving the subordinate
clause "from the Severian of bone and flesh borne by Catherine in a cell of
the oubliette under the Matachin Tower." There is only *one* verb in the
clause, "borne". There is no form of the verb "to have" before borne (or
another verb after it) to qualify it, as would be required for borne to
refer to the mere fact that Catherine gave birth in a cell.

The subject in the clause is "Severian", the predicate is "borne". The rest
of the clause, beginning with the word "by", is a prepositional phrase
serving as an adverb modifying the verb "borne".

Either the sentence is grammatically incorrect or "borne by" means something
other than "to bring forth". As written, "borne by" means "carried by". The
more usual meaning in this context would be that Catherine carried a child
in her womb.

But Severian also had a memory of being in a brown basket when he was still
too young to crawl, and one most often uses a basket to carry something. It
is possible that he was carried *to* the cell in the basket. It is also
possible that he was kept in the basket while she was in a cell, but I doubt
that she would have had much occasion to carry it around there. (Unless
maybe he had the colic and she was trying to get him to stop crying. <g>)
The prepositional phrase, however, weighs against that.

So, in the end, the URTH quote still seems to undermine my theory that
Severian was not born in the Matachin Tower. At least I think it does. The
quote still doesn't quite square with all the criteria laid out in the
tetralogy, particularly the criterion that none of the apprentices were born
among the torturers. I could probably come up with some theory that allows
for both, but that would lead to more speculation than either the text or I
can support.

-Roy

-