(urth) Are old questions OK?

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Fri Oct 20 15:11:53 PDT 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 11:52 AM, b sharp wrote:
>  of course
> Neil Armstrong on the moon.

The picture isn't actually Armstrong, and as far as I can tell it's
not a faithful description of *any* of the Apollo photographs.  I
remember trying to figure out which picture it was a few months ago
and coming up dry: I couldn't find any earthrises taken from the
Lunar surface with an astronaut and a flag in the frame.

Not that I don't agree that it's *supposed* to be an Apollo
astronaut; I just think that Wolfe didn't have the source photograph
at hand and conflated several (for instance,
http://history.nasa.gov/ap11ann/kippsphotos/apollo.html
has an Earthrise and a Buzz Aldrin Saluting the Flag picture.  Make
one the background of the other and you pretty much have the
described picture.)

Adam