(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist Or Realist?

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 08:03:47 PDT 2006

I'll follow up on Jeff's, Adam's and Daniel's biological posts to note with
evil irony that
the European and Islamic codes of chivalry which extend such great
protection to females (and their purity) can be seen as the product of
barbarian cultures, hell-bent on warfare, global expansion and maximum
population growth and tacit or open polygamy (polygyny).

In contrast, the female infanticide found in China and India was the product
of mature, peaceful civilizations interested in population control,
monogamy, balance and harmony. (all this being historical argument based on
pre- modern birth control time periods and surely subject to much dissent
and hackle raising ;-)).

The topic of protecting females from war reminds me..., Hmph writes:

>I seem to remember rather liking the female soldier in, is it the third or
>the fourth part of TBotNS? I forgot her name and don't have time to look it
>up now. Also, wasn't there a >sympathetic female sailor in TUotNS?

I can't think of a female soldier in BotNS, but the female sailor is surely
Gunny, whose younger version goes by Burgundofora.  I guess both are
sympathetic characters though they both betray Severian, one in a minor way,
one in a major way.