(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist? and accessibility

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 20:48:47 PDT 2006

I agree with you that our emotions and our thought-processes may not be as different as they have been portrayed. Our experiences, however, are far more divergent than the tools with which we process them.  I also believe that the best women writers, generally being more empathetic and observant, can create better male characters than male writers create female characters.

So Wolfe could probably create more strong central female characters, but perhaps he feels that he would be writing a male character in a female body, not because he doesn't believe there are strong women, but because he doesn't know how to write them well, and would revert to the strengths he is familiar with.

I did think that many of the women in Castleview were convincingly spun.