(urth) urth Digest, Vol 26, Issue 12

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Mon Oct 16 19:50:59 PDT 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 15:25, Kieran Mullen wrote:
> >> I agree that The Death of Doctor Island is accessible in terms of
> >> understanding the plot, but I also find it to be one of Wolfe's most
> >> disturbing and offensive stories.  I can't imagine what a mass
> >> audience
> >> would make of it.
> >
> > Care to expound on why you find it offensive?
>
> I am not David, but I can write why I find the story disturbing:  an
> innocent young girl is brutally murdered in order to salvage one
> mentally disturbed adult male,  drive an innocent boy catatonic,  and
> manifest the more useful subdominant personality in the boy.   This
> is all based on some utilitarian calculus:  the low probability that
> the girl will be cured, the preference for the subdominant
> personality in the boy, the chance that the man will be cured.   It's
> the cold sacrifice of one life to improve another's life.    But I
> think that's the type of death offered by Doctor Island, and this is
> the point of the story.

No question that the story is disturbing.  If the story doesn't disturb you,
then you have serious problems.  But there's a great deal of difference
between calling a story disturbing and calling it offensive.  The story is
meant to disturb.  That's it's whole point and purpose.  And it succeeds
masterfully.  But I disagree that that makes the story offensive.  If a story
doesn't move you in some way, is it worth investing the time to read?

I first read the story many years ago while in high school.  It was the first
thing I'd ever read by Wolfe, although I didn't realize that until recently.
I only recently picked up a copy of IoDD&OS&OS.  When I started reading DoDI,
I literally jumped out of bed and shook the book in my wife's face.  "This is
it!  This is it!"  I then had to explain that I'd read the story some 25
years ago but had had no idea who'd written it.  I couldn't remember the
details of the events but it was one of the most powerful, most disturbing
stories I'd ever read and I couldn't wait to read it again.  It did not
disappoint on the second reading.

It's not often that a book or story literally gives me cold chills but this
story did.  Both times.  It's incredibly disturbing and incredibly powerful.
But that doesn't make it offensive.  Quite the opposite.