(urth) The Death of Doctor Island Movie

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Mon Oct 16 19:32:07 PDT 2006

On Monday 16 October 2006 13:38, David DiGiacomo wrote:
> >> Care to expound on why you find it offensive?
> >
> >I was thinking the same thing.  I mean there is some violence in
> >there, but nothing more than you'd find in any of his other books.
> >Heck, he had an executioner for a protaganist.  So what did you find
> >offensive David?
>
> Oh, blatant misogyny.

Misogyny on the part of Wolfe or the part of characters in the story?  If the
former, I'm not sure what you're referring to, particularly if you take into
account that the story was published in 1973.  It would be a bit of an
understatement to refer to Dr. Island's dismissal of Diane's murder as
unimportant because it helped cure Ignacio as misogyny.  I can certainly see
why those events would be offensive, but that's part of what makes the story
so forceful.  But I don't think that describing offensive events makes a
story itself offensive, unless you believe that the moral or theme of the
story somehow supports or lauds those events.