(urth) The littlest apprentices

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 19:03:52 PST 2006

First of all, it is possible that the wet-nurses live very near the Tower but are not housed in the grey metal cells, leading to Severian's deduction.  It's difficult to imagine Wolfe's torturers changing diapers and holding bottles.

Second, in your interpretation, it's not just that the breastfeeding passages contradict each other, but that the passage where Severian recalls breastfeeding and a moment later says that the children the torturers take know no breasts is self-contradictory in an unsubtle way.  In order for it not to be self-contradictory, while still creating a conflict between the two passages, you have to interpret the "know no breasts" as excluding the possibility of wet-nursing, but not mother-before-death-nursing.  That doesn't make much sense to me.  However, for the sake of ending a debate over a point so minor that resolving it would not lead anywhere, I concede on all grounds.