(urth) The Katharine maid

Tim Walters walters at doubtfulpalace.com
Fri Oct 27 23:15:00 PDT 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 7:53 PM, Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> The dictionary citations both of you have given support my reading.

No, they don't. Nathan Spears' citation ("Two children borne by her
earlier") is exactly analogous to Wolfe's clause ("the Severian of
bone and flesh borne by Catherine in a cell..."), leaving no room for
doubt that Wolfe's sentence can sensibly be read as being about
Severian's birth.

In my opinion, that's the only unstrained reading, but that's less
certain.