(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist Or Realist?

timothy fletcher ss4vegita_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 20 15:18:23 PDT 2006

For what it's worth, it could also mean that Wolfe finds violence against
women particularly horrifying.  An author's purpose is to impact and move the
reader.  As such, it's natural that they choose powerful, emotional scenes to
do that.  If Wolfe finds women in dire straits to be particularly powerful,
he may assume that his reader does as well and intentionally include such
scenes because he finds them repulsive rather than attractive.

That is very much true; I will concede that. I will say, though, that it is (or seems it must be) difficult to pinpoint which is the case with some authors, which explains this discussion. Personally, I doubt Wolfe harbors any ill will or dislike toward women (Goodkind either, for that matter). I know a smattering about psychology, and could probably learn more by asking some friends (one of whom is a professional psychologist), but I've heard that in Rorschach tests and such the results are based more on patterns and types than the answers themselves.