(urth) Wolfe: Misogynist Or Realist?

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 12:03:46 PDT 2006

Dave Lebling writes regarding the female soldier:

>I would assume he's thinking of Foila, who is indeed a sympathetic and
>likable character, a soldier >recovering from wounds(?) in the Pelerines'
>hospice. (She's the prize in the story-telling contest, >but turns the
>tables on the contestants by entering and winning.) This is in _Citadel of
>the
>Autarch_.

Oooh how could I not think of Foila.  Yes, she is likable enough to dispel
accusations Wolfe can't develop an admirable female character...But then
again, we last see her critically wounded, probably dying,....hm....

-bsharp
(p.s. forgot Vulcan neck pinch in my list of 60's pop references in my last
post)