(urth) The Death of Doctor Island Movie

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Oct 17 22:42:40 PDT 2006

Daniel D Jones wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 October 2006 11:59, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> Daniel D Jones wrote:
>>> And Sam Clemons was really fond of including racist characters and
>>> situations in his.
>> And he was himself an admitted and practicing racist.
>
> Which, true or not, doesn't at all change the fact that his stories are
> powerful arguments against racism.

I agree, I was just playing along with the red herring theme. Twain
wrote about his own society, in which esentially everyone was a racist,
largely in a time when racism was enshrined as a divinely and legally
ordained fact of life, so of course there were lots of racist characters
and situations. Wolfe doesn't have this excuse, not that he really needs
one.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >